Tuesday 10 September 2013

Review and Swatch: Sigma Blackberry Essence Blush and Nyx Taupe Blush

Sigma Blackberry Blush and Nyx Taupe Blush
I was almost certain I wasn't going to be able to get any of the new Sigma Creme Couture collection because I really only wanted the Blackberry blusher and I was not going to pay £9 shipping just for the one thing. BUT! I found one site in the UK was carrying them and did a tiny little happy dance. They also had Nyx Taupe blusher, which I heard was discontinued, but perhaps I was wrong. Just in case, I bought one of them to try out on the chance it is being discontinued and I don't have another opportunity.





Swatches and review behind the jump!

I guess the first thing I should mention about the Creme Couture blush is how cute the packaging is. It does look like something you'd get from a high-end confectionary. The package has a little tiny leaflet, like you'd find in chocolates. 

Sigma Creme Couture Blackberry Essence Blush
I usually don't care about packaging at all. I'd be happy if makeup came in brown paper wrapping so long as what's inside is awesome, but this is really nice and I can see the appeal. However, I can also see how it might become annoying in the future since you have to slide the top all the way off and put it back on. The package is cardboard and paper, which won't survive for long in this pristine state once it's in with the rest of my kit. A compact would be sturdier, but that wouldn't have the look.

The blush itself is pretty amazing. Running my finger over it is like stroking silk. And the colour...it has the perfect level of pigmentation. 

Sigma Creme Couture Blackberry Blush


The left is two swipes and the right is blended out.


I have a weird fascination with purple blush, as in, I need ALL the purple blush.  Sigma Blackberry Essence is perfect because it's definitely purple, but it's hard to accidentally use too much. You can absolutely use this if you want a daily sort of go-to-work look. But, it's also buildable so you can layer it up and up if you want something a bit more striking.

Sigma Creme Couture Blackberry Lightly Applied
I've worn this twice now and my only complaint is that I did need to reapply about halfway through the day. I wore it lightly, so I imagine that wouldn't happen if I were more heavy-handed with it. I really like this and I could see making it my everyday blush. 



The Nyx Taupe blush I purchased as a contour powder after Cora from Vintage or Tacky mentioned in a tutorial that it was the perfect one. I've had a problem finding a contour powder because I'm so pale. All the ones I could find that weren't overly dark were too ruddy. 

Nyx Taupe Blush, Two Strokes on the Left, Blended Out on the Right
This is the Goldilocks of contour powder for me, because as you can see in the swatch, it looks just like a bruise. I've used it in two looks so far, one of which is the picture I posted further up the page. I don't do a whole tonne of contouring and this is just right for where I want it. The one thing I would say, in the 'Might Be A Negative' column, is that it's a bit difficult to build it up to a really dark level. Even running my finger over the product multiple times only produced something about as dark as the two swipes above. However, since I tend to be a little "MORE IS AWESOME" kinda gal, it might actually be a good thing I can't build it up to OH GOD WHY levels.

Do you have a favourite purple blush?  And, since I've only found one contour powder that I like and it may be discontinued, what do you use for contouring?


*Disclaimer: All the products in this post were purchased by me with my own money. I was not compensated in any way for this review/post. I am NOT affiliated with any of the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)