Wednesday 11 September 2013

Swatch and Review: Sugarpill Cold Chemistry Palette

Speaking of chemistry, I've been binge watching The L Word on Netflix. It's not even good, really, but I can put it on while I'm doing things that require thinking as I don't find it too distracting. Except for all the Shane. Oh my glob, SHANE. I know, so predictable as everyone in the entire world has had a crush on Shane. Half the time I don't know whether I want to be her or well, you know, be with her. And Alice, too, at least for the first two series.


Buuut that's not what we're here to discuss, because Sugarpill's Cold Chemistry palette is the star of this show (holy balls that was cheesy). 




Review and swatches behind the jump!





I've had the Sugarpill about two weeks now, following a nail-biting wait after Royal Mail misplaced it for a week. I ordered this the minute it was up on the Sugarpill site since I was really worried about it selling out. I almost ordered another one when the postal people lost it. Anyway, this was totally worth the wait and the cost.

Cold Chemistry in all it's glory

As for the palette packaging, I think it's quite nice. It comes sheathed in a sleeve printed the same as the palette itself, which has an abstract, shattered look.  I threw the sleeve away immediately because there will probably not be a day that I don't grab this for at least one colour. The palette is very a sturdy cardboard clamshell style and has a magnet in the edges so that it stays shut securely. There's also a good-size mirror in the lid. Each pan of shadow is a generous .12 oz, which is the same size as the single pots. If you like at least three of the shades in Cold Chemistry, you'll save $2USD buying the palette compared to buying the individual shades. If you like all four, you save $14USD by purchasing the palette.

Soot&Stars is a lovely pewter grey with fine silver, black, blue, and purple shimmer. Out of the four colours in the palette, this is the only one that isn't buttery smooth. It's very slightly gritty, but it still goes on opague in one swipe without streaking. This has replaced Bulletproof for everything, bar setting my waterline.

Soot&Stars, Diamond Eyes, Elemental Chaos, Subterranean

Diamond Eyes is my new favourite everything. I have used it in every look I've done since opening the package. This is velvety smooth, pure white with what looks like a pink reflect? It's not strong enough that I'd call it a duochrome. It is so subtle that I'm not really sure if I'm actually seeing it. This has a mink-like shine to it but no glitter. Diamond Eyes is perfect as a brow and inner corner highlight. I use it to blend out shades for my smoky eye looks.



Elemental Chaos is a gorgeous deep purple. I'd say it leans more to the blue side and has very fine purple shimmer in it. Again, this shade is brilliantly smooth and blends like a dream. Elemental Chaos is my new favourite purple, even over all of Sugarpill's other stellar purples, which I also own and love. This makes my hazel eyes look super green, and for that alone, it would have won my heart. With all its other wonderful qualities, it has secured a top spot in my kit forever.

Subterranean is the most magnificent green with green shimmer. It evokes woods rife with ferns and vines right after heavy rain. Subterranean is the eyeshadow equivalent of the Oregon rainforest I went camping in when I was twelve. Basically, this shade is just tremendous.

I feel like such an idiot fan girl right now.

The most wonderful thing about Cold Chemistry is that you aren't just getting four shadows. Your're really getting at least ten because of how much you can change the colours by blending either Diamond Eyes or Soot&Stars into them. Elemental Chaos and Subterranean can become the loveliest pastels or the deepest, darkest shades, capable of warming the heart of even the most grizzled Elder Goth. I.E. Me.

So obviously, I believe this palette is completely worth the $32 or, if you're in the UK like me, £32. I did buy my palette from Sugarpill.com, but with shipping and customs fees, it would have been just a wee bit cheaper for me to have bought it from Love-Makeup or Cocktail Cosmetics.

Now that I've gone on and on about my love for Sugarpill, maybe you'd like a chance to pontificate on your favourite shades. Let it rip in the comments!


*Disclaimer: All the products in this post were purchased by me with my own money. I was not compensated in any way for this review/post. I am NOT affiliated with any of the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)