Wednesday 4 September 2013

Look: Killing Joke

As I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't been into makeup for too awfully long. Don't get me wrong, I've been wearing makeup for years, but just so I didn't look like the Beast What Came From Beneath! And not as a thing that was fun to do. I had my 3-4 eyeshadows(and I was damn good with those specific shades), my one eyeliner, and maybe some tinted moisturiser and powder. But it wasn't something I really used as a thing I liked to do. It was a chore. As in, have to put my face on or else the villagers will be after me with torches again. I had my slighlty gothy/slightly punk look down and that was it. I didn't need anything else, I thought. Why fix what wasn't broken? But that was before my back issues all but immobilised me.

I wasn't raised around makeup. My mum never, ever wore it, not even for special occasions. I don't think she owns a lipstick or a tube of concealer to this day. And that's fine, she's happy that way. But, it means that when I started poking at makeup in my first year of uni, I had had no one to teach me the basics. So, I had a brief but torrid affair with spidery eyelashes, super-thick and poorly done black eyeliner, and black eyeshadow that was never blended out. I didn't realise how awful I looked until I saw end of term photos of myself about four years too late. After that, I didn't bother with my face past skin care and the occasional dress-up-for-photos event for an embarrassingly long time. I picked it up again when a friend dragged me to the Mac shop and I realised I could actually do the goth thing and not look awful, for which I bought the above mentioned complimentary set of shadows.

Anyway, that's all one loooong run-up to explain that in the past five months, I've had time to in spades. Since I often have difficulty moving, most of my old pastimes like sewing and running, are out of the question. I have plenty of time, however, to watch ALL THE YOUTUBE. Seriously, Youtube beauty videos have been my personal crash course in the wonderful and versatile art of slap, and there are videos for everything. I've watched them all. Twice.

Even with my own private tutors, I still manage to bollock everything up frequently. It's rare that I put together a look that I like 100%. So before I get into posting all the real horrorshow things I've done on my face, here is what I think is probably my current personal best:

Of course it would be Joker themed.

I know this looks super simple to all you beauty gurus out there, but it's amazing how often I manage to screw up at least one component of my face.

Eyes:
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Too Faced Pin-Up on brow bone 
Sugarpill Absinthe from just above crease to just below
Sugarpill Midore all over lid
Too Faced Lucky Charms on outer v, blended out
Urban Decay Psychedelic Sister 24/7 Glide On liner under eye
Yaby Purple Iris smudge over Psychedelic Sister
Avon SuperShock Gel Liner in Black on lid and waterline, smudged down
Sugarpill Lumi as inner corner highlight


Face:
Bourjois Mineral Matte Mousse in Tendre Ivoire
Too Faced Papa Don't Peach blush
BeautyUk Baked Blush in Halo as highlight
MakeUpAcademy Mosaic Bronzer as contour colour

Eyebrows:
MakeUpAcademy Undress Me palette shade 08

So, that's a look I'm completely happy with for once. Now take a deep breath because that probably won't happen again for a while.

*Disclaimer: All items mentioned in this post were purchased by me with my own money. I have not been compensated in anyway for this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)