Wednesday 30 September 2015

30 Days of Lipstick Wrap Up

I did it. I managed to finish 30 (almost) consecutive days of makeup and photos. They were almost consecutive instead of actually consecutive because the final day went up two days after it should have due to the worst migraine I've had in several years. BUT, I'm counting it anyway. I'll be posting a mini review of each lipstick, as well as links to where you can find them so if you'd like to see that, please follow me through the jump!




I guess the first thing to point out is holy cats and gods, do I ever have a lot of purple lipstick! I probably could have done a 30 day challenge just using only purple. It is my favourite colour of lipstick and I have a compulsion to buy stuff just because, "OOO PURPLE!" I guess I didn't realise just quite how purple my lipstick collection leans. Out of the 30 days, 10 days are completely, no question, purple. There are also several days that stray heavily toward purple while still technically being another colour.

To ensure that I don't just ramble on and on, I'm going to post a picture of each lipstick and my thoughts about it.  I'm skipping to day 5 as I've already made posts about days one to four.

Day 5:  Lunatick Labs Apocalipslick in Tainted Temptress


Lunatick Labs Apocalipstick Tainted Temptress
 I have four of these Apocalipslicks and I absolutely love them. They aren't a matte or kiss-proof product, but they are super long-wearing. They do dry down to a nearly matte look, which this photo doesn't show as I didn't have time to wait for it to dry down first. Drying time is usually between ten and fifteen minutes for me. Tainted Temptress is the colour of a really good grape juice. It's almost black, in fact, but if you put it on for about 10 minutes and then blot the majority of it off, it leaves a really nice dark purple stain. Most of the time, I wear it as it comes out of the tube, but the staining means that this wears off really nice and evenly.


 The Apocalipslicks all have a really strong melon scent, which I really like, but some people may find it hard to deal with. The smell does seem to die down once the product dries. I think the Apocalipslicks are $9 each (it looks like they are all sold out right now, though), but I bought mine from CuteCosmetics here in the UK and paid £6.99 each.

Day 6: Portland Black Lipstick Company Indigo Bridge


Portland Black Lipstick Company Indigo Bridge
I'm pretty sure I've posted my thoughts about PBLC before, but I'll just reiterate for the sake of this entry. Their lipstick is my all time favourite formula. It's not kiss proof or budge proof, but it is the longest lasting non-drying lipstick I have ever worn. It comes in a lip balm style container and has a slight minty scent. It's very thick and smooth and I find it really moisturising. I can put this on at 8 o'clock in the morning, eat lunch without having to reapply, and it will still be going strong by 5pm. I'm pretty sure it's made out of magic. I keep meaning to get more colours, as I currently only have Indigo Bridge and Black. Indigo Bridge is the perfect blackened metallic blue. I mean, just look at it!

Portland Black Lipstick Company Indigo Bridge

It's such a gorgeous colour. It doesn't show up lip lines, it doesn't make my lips feel dried out or uncomfortable, it's just super. Each colour cost $14 from their website or from their Etsy shop, which is where I bought my two tubes.


Day 7: Sleek Lip4 Palette in Havana


Cookie, Rum, Frappucino
                  Sleek Lip4 Palette in Havana
 Sleek Lip4 palettes are a pretty good deal for me, as they come with four shades of lipstick for £8.99, but I bought this one during a half-price sale on the website and so I only paid half that. I used Cookie, Rum, and Frappucino to make an ombre look and felt pretty happy with it. I also dusted a little bit of Dreamworld Hermetica Little Witch into the centre for a golden shimmer.  As for the lipsticks themselves, Cookie is a matte shade but Rum and Frappucino are both glossy.  Frappucino, particularly, is fairly goopy and sticky, like a really pigmented lip gloss. I found it difficult to work with that specific shade as it just wanted to glump up and stick to everything.  I don't know if it would do that just on its own, as I've only used this palette the one time so far, but I can't really see myself wearing just Frappucino because:

From Top Left Clockwise: Rum, Cookie, Frappucino, Creme Brulee
 It'd make me look dead and not in the way I'm usually going for. However, I will definitely get more use out of the other three shades in the palette. All in all, it's a fairly good deal. These do stain the lips, but that doesn't bother me much. Oh, and I've just looked and Sleek are still offering this palette at half-price so you can grab a bargain.

Day 8: LA Splash Lip Couture Liquid Lipstick in Criminal


LA Splash Lip Couture in Criminal

 I'm so torn by these LA Splash lipsticks. I have three colours at the moment and the colours are all beautiful. Especially Criminal. It's such a lovely bright purple. And they absolutely do dry down matte and budge-proof. BUT, they make my lips feel awful and I feel like they make them look like wrinkly prunes.  I mean, if I move my mouth at all it's lip line city:

LA Splash Lip Couture in Criminal
Also, and this may just be a function of me not being used to working with this sort of product, I find them really difficult to get right. They dry so quickly that there is virtually no time to correct any mistakes, and because they are so long-wearing, if I get it somewhere it wasn't supposed to be, I have to take it off with an oil-based remover which screws up anything it touches. However, if I do manage to get it right the first time, with only one layer of product, they don't feel quite so mask-like. They still show up lip-lines badly, as you can see from the photo above, but they feel much more comfortable with only one layer. One other thing about these, at least on me, I've worn all three of the colours a few times now, and I've had several experiences where they just started to...flake off my lips? From the inside outward, so it looked like I had some horrible disease. Again, that might be a function of when I have to use more than one layer of the product, but it looked awful when that happened and made me hesitant to wear it if I'm going to be out of my house for more than an hour or two. I purchased mine from Love Makeup for £9.50.


 Day 9: Lunatick Cosmetics Apocalipslick in Grave Heart Shift

Lunatick Cosmetics Apocalipslick in Grave Heart Shift

 I won't spend much time on this one, as I've already spoken about the Apocalipslicks above. This is a very bright purple that has an almost duochrome pink shift. It will leave a bright pink stain. I love this one sooo much.

Lunatick Cosmetics Apocalipslick in Grave Heart Shift

Day 10: Sleek Matte Me in Fandango Purple


Sleek Matte Me in Fandango Purple
This is another liquid to matte lipstick. I think the formula is rubbish. It won't be opaque in one sweep  and more than one layer makes my lips feel like they are wearing a very restrictive winter coat. It's another that makes lip lines super prominent. The colour is nice, but that's about the only nice thing about this product. I don't feel like I should move my mouth at all when I'm wearing it because every movement makes it crack and wrinkle. These are £4.99 from Sleek. I have three different colours and the formula is the same for all of them. Maybe I'm just bad super matte lipstick, but I don't know.

Sleek Matte Me in Fandango Purple

Day 11: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Black Metal Dahlia

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Black Metal Dahlia
I won't talk much about these, because pretty much everyone knows how awesome Lip Tars are, and Black Metal Dahlia is the most perfect blackberry colour with a metallic sheen. This may be my absolute favourite Lip Tar, although I did just get Technopagan, so I may have to revise that idea. Lip Tars are $18 from the OCC website, but I purchased mine from Cocktail Cosmetics for £13. Both sites have them on sale for less at the time of this posting. 


Day 12: Collection Gothic Glam in Revenge

Collection Gothic Glam lipstick in Revenge
This is a lovely deep blackberry, slightly more red in tone than Black Metal Dahlia. It's has a satin finish and the formula feels fairly moisturising. I patted a bit of Sugarpill Asylum in the centre to give it a really metallic glow. I'm not sure if the Gothic Glam collection is still available, but I originally bought this at Superdrug for around £4. I have a few other colours in the Gothic Glam set and they all well like much more expensive lipsticks.

Collection Gothic Glam lipstick in Revenge

 So, I think I will stop with there for today. You can check out mini reviews of all the other days at my Instagram. Thanks for stopping by!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)