Monday 14 April 2014

Swatchfest: Glamour Doll Eyes

Glamour Doll Eyes had a 50% off flash sale a few weeks ago so I bought a some things since I've not tried the brand before. 

See the rest after the jump.

Shipping time was remarkably fast. I ordered March 30th and received my package a week and a half later. I'm used to shipping from the States taking a much longer. Everything was nicely packed and all the containers had outer plastic seals and the pots with sifters also had seals on the sifters.

I purchased two blushes, My First Time and Relentless. Because of the flash sale, these were each $4.50 USD, but they are normally $9.00USD. The pots are generously-sized, as in, big enough to put my blush brush in and swirl.

Both of the blushes are really pretty but I don't think I'll be using them much because they are super sparkly. I tried out My First Time today and even though I put just a little on, I had to cover it over with matte powder. It's a lovely light purple, though.

Glamour Doll Eyes My First Time blush on my giant face.


The colour is really nice and the pigmentation is perfect for blush, but just SOOO sparkly. I think My First Time will end up being used mostly as a highlight.

Glamour Doll Eyes My First Time blush in natural light shown heavily swatched and blended out

Glamour Doll Eyes My First Time blush with flash shown heavily swatched and blended out


I also bought Relentless, which is a tangerine orange. Again, if this weren't so bloody sparkly, it would be perfectly wearable. 

Glamour Doll Eyes Relentless blush in natural light shown heavily swatched and blended out

Glamour Doll Eyes Relentless blush with flash shown heavily swatched and blended out

   Sadly, I don't think I can make this one work as a highlight because of the colour, but maybe I will de-pot half of it to use as an eyeshadow and send the rest to my sister. 



Glamour Doll Eyes swatches taken with flash

Glamour Doll Eyes swatches in natural light


I bought six shadows and also received two free samples. All of the pots came with a good amount of product and the packaging is really cute.

Glamour Doll Eyes packaging


Each pot is labeled with the name, the list of ingredients, what part of the face the product is safe for, and whether it's vegan friendly. Because of the sale, I paid $3.00USD for each of the shades, but normally they are $6.00USD.

All of these shadows are shimmery but they don't have big chunks of cheesy glitter. The texture is nice and smooth and they seem to blend fairly well. The pigmentation seems a little hit or miss, which I will point out below where appropriate. All shadows are shown swatched over bare skin(top), UDPP(centre), and Nyx Milk(bottom). 

Glamour Doll Eyes Pinch of Pixie, Longing for Spring, and Flawless in natural light


Glamour Doll Eyes Pinch of Pixie, Longing for Spring, and Flawless with Flash

Pinch of Pixie is a metallic silver with silver and pale green sparkle. This one swatches really sheer, even over UDPP, so I would suggest wearing it over something sticky like a Mac Paint Pot or Nyx Milk. The colour is really pretty, but in my opinion, there are much better silver shadows out there.

Longing for Spring is a very pale green with tiny silver and green sparkle. I'd say this one is almost a silver green. This one also swatches pretty sheer. It's very smooth and blends nicely, but it blends away easily. This is what I think Urban Decay Betrayal would look like if it were green. It has a really luminous quality that would go well over darker colours.

Flawless is a pale nude peach. It has a shimmer but no sparkle. This is the perfect brow or inner corner highlight for my skin. I'll get loads of use out of this.

Glamour Doll Eyes Graves in May, Tattooed, and Fiji Mermaid in natural light. 
Glamour Doll Eyes Graves in May, Tattooed, and Fiji Mermaid with flash

Graves in May is dusty grey rose with tiny silver sparks. It goes on evenly over bare skin, but to get it to pop, it really needs a sticky base. I quite like this one and will be using it a lot to blend out some of my brighter pinks. 

Tattooed is a really bright purple/blue. In my photos in looks a lot more blue than it does in real life. 
I colour-corrected the photo below until the swatch of Tattooed matched what it looks like in real life (at least on my computer screen). 

Tattooed colour-corrected to match reality

It's a very pretty colour and is probably my favourite out of all these. It has tiny pink and red sparks. I don't think I have any other purples exactly like it, which is saying something since I collect ALL THE PURPLES, haha.

Fiji Mermaid is a very vibrant emerald green with a turquoise undertone. It has more sheen than sparkle but there are some tiny flecks of green spark in it. I really like this colour also. If you could somehow extract the black base out of Sugarpill Subterranean, it would be this colour. I had to buy Fiji Mermaid because of the name since it reminded me of that X-Files episode. 

Glamour Doll Eyes What's My Name and Mistletoe Make Out in natural light

Glamour Doll Eyes What's My Name and Mistletoe Make Out with flash
I received these last two colours as sample sizes.

What's My Name is a very pale pink that's almost lilac because of the purple undertones. It has pink and silver sparks. 

Mistletoe Make Out is dark olive green with silver highlights. I would almost say this is a duochrome because of how much it shifts. It's buttery soft and just a smidge lighter than Sugarpill's Subterranean.

Overall, I'm pleased with this order. All of the colours are well-made and useable, even the ones that are on the sheer side. My one disappointment is the HOLY CRAP SHIMMER level of the blushes, since it's not really clear from their swatches on the website. But since I bought them half-price, I'm not horribly upset about it. I will definitely be trying some of their matte shadows in the future.

I put together a quick look using Fiji Mermaid, Tattooed, Graves in May, and What's My Name. I'm also wearing My First Time blush. My lipstick is Morgana's Crypt Belladonna.






*Disclaimer: All of the products mentioned in this post were purchased by me with my own money. I was not reimbursed or compensated in anyway. I am not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned or linked above. 

2 comments:

  1. You can use My First Time as an eyeshadow because its eye safe-I tried it and it works beautifully! Not sure about relentless (: Cute look and Belladonna looks gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried both on my eyes now and neither one seems to bother my eyes, so that's a win. :) And thank you! I'm a really big fan of all the Morgana's Crypt lipsticks I've tried so far.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)