Saturday 12 October 2013

Review and Swatch: Addictive Cosmetics Part 1

A few weeks ago, I ordered a bunch of stuff from Addictive Cosmetics on Etsy. I placed my order on a Tuesday and exactly a week later, I had the parcel in my hands, which is just ridiculously fast for shipping from U.S. to the U.K. Seriously, Amber, the owner of Addictive Cosmetics, must have posted it the same day I ordered it. Also, before I finalised my order, I had a quick question. Within fifteen minutes, Amber had already replied.

Addictive Cosmetics Eyeshadow Swatches

Full review and swatches after the jump!


I ordered two sets of eye shadow samples, one set of blush samples, a full-size eyeliner pot, a full-size lipstick, and their Fixit, which is a primer and mixing medium.  The items were shipped inside a sealed plastic pouch, which was wrapped in pink tissue paper, all inside a padded mailer. The only problem was that the Fixit:
Addictive Cosmetics Fixit Primer
Addictive Cosmetics Fixit Primer


had leaked all over the bag. It was maybe less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon of leakage, but it was enough to wear the names off three of the clamshells and part of the way off the lipstick tube. 

Again, not a big deal, but maybe there could have been some sellotape around the top. I was able to figure out what was what, so really, the only inconvenience was that I had slick fingers.

Addictive Cosmetics sell samples in sets of any three mineral products in the shop for $4.99 USD, or you can do a foundation sample set for $2.99. For eye shadow samples, you get three plastic clamshells with about an 1/8th of a U.S. teaspoon of product in each. I really prefer having my samples in clamshells as I find it really difficult to use those baggies most people send samples in. I always end up with powder all over my brush, which then ends up all down my face. Anyway, I purchased Autumn, Ravenwood, Sugar Shack, Fragglerock, Grape Soda, Scantily Clad. Amber also threw in an extra sample called On Display. 

These are all one swipe swatched over bare skin:

Addictive Cosmetics Sugarshack, Autumn, Scantily Clad, On Display, Grape Soda Eyeshadows

All of these are amazingly pigmented and buttery smooth.

Addictive Cosmetics Scantily Clad
Applied over Fixit primer that was still slightly damp

Scantily Clad is a sort of light peach colour with itty bitty glints of silver and gold. I like this as an all over lid colour to blend out other colours. Super silky, sticks like a champ.

Addictive Cosmetics Sugarshack Eyeshadow
Applied over Fixit primer that was still slightly damp.


Sugarshack is a lovely frost white. This really reminds me of my formally beloved Mac Vex, which I believe is discontinued. Sugarshack has a bit more pigmentation than Vex, but it has that same amazing luminosity. I use this as a brow and inner corner highlight.

Addictive Cosmetics Fragglerock matte eyeshadow
Applied over Fixit primer that was still slightly damp.

Fragglerock, oh my. This is a vivid matte purple. The formulation for this is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! It's not powdery at all. It sticks like woah and feels almost creamy. Besides which, it's just a really beautiful colour. If Amber's other mattes are like this, I might just have to get them all.  I used Fragglerock as the centre colour in this look:

Addictive Cosmetics Grape Soda, Fraggle Rock, and Autumn applied over Benefit Stay Don't Stray.

Addictive Cosmetics Autumn eyeshadow
Applied over slightly damp Fixit primer.

Autumn is a gold and red toned brown. It has a slight colour shift to burnished gold. This is the colour of an autumn leaf spinning its way to the ground.

Addictive Cosmetics On Display eyeshadow
Applied over slightly damp Fixit primer.
On Display was a freebie and is from Addictive Cosmetics' new Housewives collection, which I'm assuming is an homage to Desperate Housewives. This is a blurple duochrome with a black shift and bright turquoise highlights. I did have a little bit of a problem getting this to apply as an even tone, as it had a tendency to leave black streaks over the rest of the colour. However, as long as I really worked it onto my brush before applying it, there were no issues. This is a really gorgeous colour that's definitely worth a little work.

Addictive Cosmetics Ravenwood eyeshadow
Applied over slightly damp Fixit primer.



Addictive Cosmetics Ravenwood eyeshadow
Addictive Cosmetics Ravenwood eyeshadow swatch

Ravenwood is just flat out amazing. This has a warm brown base with bright gold and red sparkle. I think there are also hints of blue in it. My swatches do not do this colour justice. I did have a little bit of trouble getting the sparkly bits from the pot to my lid, but so long as I used a nice sticky base, they stuck just fine. Notably, and this goes for all these colours, there was little to no fallout. In fact, I had less fallout from these than I do from my favourite Sugarpill pressed shadows.

Addictive Cosmetics Sugarshack, Scantily Clad, Ravenwood, Autumn, and Mermadia liner.
Sugarshack, Scantily Clad, Ravenwood, Autumn, and Mermadia liner.
Since this is already such a mammoth post, I'm going to do the rest of the stuff I bought from Addictive Cosmetics in a separate post. 


*Disclaimer: All items in this post were purchased by me with my own money. I am not affiliated with anyone mentioned in this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)