Tuesday 22 October 2013

Review and Swatch: Addictive Cosmetics Part 2

Sorry it took so long for me to post the second part of this review. I had a computer apocalypse and it took far longer to get everything sorted again due to losing some files. All apologies!

Click here if you haven't seen Part One of this review.

As you'll know from the first part of this review, along with six eye shadows, I also purchased one eyeliner in the colour Mermadia. This colour is just gorgeous, a metal turquoise shot through with multifaceted sparkles.

Addictive Cosmetics Mermadia Liquid Liner

More Photos and the Exciting Conclusion after the jump!



None of the pictures I took of the Mermadia eyeliner can really do it justice, so here's a miniclip that does a little better:

Addictive Cosmetics Mermadia Liquid Liner
Addictive Cosmetics Mermadia Liquid Liner
Addictive Cosmetics Mermadia Liquid Liner 


This isn't a liquid or cake liner. It's a non-Newtonian fluid eyeliner. It conforms to the shape of the container, but if you try to poke it with your finger, it feels hard. However, if you slowly push against the liner, it gives. I found this really easy to work with.  However, the first time I wore it, I had a little bit of a mishap:

Addictive Cosmetics Autumn, Ravenswood, Sugarshack, Scantily Clad shadows with Mermadia liner. 

As you can see, the liner transferred to my crease. Now, I'm not exactly sure why this happened. When I tested the liner for swatches, it dried fast and didn't transfer. However, I have really oily lids and I was trying out the Fixit primer I bought from Addictive Cosmetics. I tried the liner again with my normal primer and had no issues. I also really like this as an all-over lid colour:
Addictive Cosmetics Mermadia eye liner as mobile lid colour
I think it's just gorgeous when used like this. Liners are $6.99USD and you get more than you'd be able to use in a year even if you used it every day.

Addictive Cosmetics Fragglerock Eyeshadow
Addictive Cosmetics Mermadia liner and Fragglerock eyeshadow mixed with Fixit and applied as liner. 


Which brings me to the Fixit primer and mixing medium.
Addictive Cosmetics Fixit Primer
Addictive Cosmetics Fixit Primer

Of the products I purchased, this is really the only one I have any issues with. This is the full size product, which costs $6.99 USD. There is no size information on the product or in the shop, but I would guess this is less than a fluid ounce and the consistency is like water. I just don't think this is enough product for $6.99. Also, the bottle comes with a spray pump and it's very hard to control how much comes out. When I applied Fixit on my hand to test it, it left sort of a slippery feeling on my skin. I tried this as a lid primer several times, since I don't think just once is a fair go.  It did keep my eye shadow on longer than it would have stayed with nothing, but I ended up with some light creasing after about six hours. As I said earlier, I do have fairly oily eyelids so this might work fine for someone who doesn't have that problem.

The Fixit really shines when used as a mixing medium. I use this with pretty much any of my loose pigments for eyeliner and it works wonderfully. The shadows stay put very well as long as I wear my normal primer under them. I've also used this to foil some of my other shades, and again, this works very well for that. I haven't had much success with making really glittery shades stick using the Fixit since it isn't sticky.

Addictive Cosmetics Winter's Spell, PinUp, and Cupcake Blush shown in natural light.
Addictive Cosmetics Winter's Spell, PinUp, and Cupcake Blush shown in natural light.

Addictive Cosmetics Winter's Spell, PinUp, and Cupcake Blush shown with flash
Addictive Cosmetics Winter's Spell, PinUp, and Cupcake Blush taken with flash. 

I bought three blush samples: Winter's Spell, a deep lilac colour; Pin Up, a dusty rose; and Cupcake, which is carnation pink. These samples come in slightly larger snap-top clamshells than the eye shadows and there is plenty of product to wear it several times.

I had a bit of an issue when I tried to wear Winter's Spell the first time, but I think it was mostly my mistake since this was my first time trying mineral blush. I applied it with my regular blush brush over my regular foundation and setting powder just like I do with my normal blushes. However, Winter's Spell went on very patchy in spots but super dark in others. I'm not sure what I did wrong. As you can see in my swatch photo above, it looks lovely. I haven't tried it on my cheeks again, but only because I realised that it has a bit more sparkle in it than I like for my blush, so I will be using as an eye shadow.

Pin Up is just lovely. I've worn this three or four times now and have had no issues at all.
Addictive Cosmetics Pin Up blush with Sparked lipstick.
Addictive Cosmetics Pin Up blush with Sparked lipstick.
I will most likely be buying this as a full size because it gives a really lovely, natural look, sort of like I just came in from a brisk walk. I think it might be my new favourite non-purple blush.
Addictive Cosmetics Pin Up blush with Sparked lipstick.
Addictive Cosmetics Pin Up blush on my face.

Cupcake blush, to be honest, I haven't worn yet since it has too much sparkle. However, I will be using it as a lid colour because it is a lovely pink. I was a little disappointed with both Winter's Spell and Cupcake because the descriptions in the shop don't indicate they are sparkly. The photos don't show the sparkle, either. But, this is why I bought sample sizes! Full size blushes are $7.99 and come in 20 gram sifter jars.

Finally, I also purchased F!@# CANCER!!!!, a bright pink liquid lipstick. In the tube, this looks Barbie pink. 
Addictive Cosmetics Sparked and F!@# Cancer!!!! in natural light
Addictive Cosmetics Sparked and F!@# Cancer!!!! in natural light

Addictive Cosmetics Sparked and F!@# Cancer!!!! taken with flash
Sparked and F!@# Cancer!!!! taken with flash
On your lips, however this goes on much more sheer than expected, leaving a just a pretty hint of pink. 
F!@# Cancer!!!! on my face
This lipstick is completely vegan and feels like it has a lot of silicone in it. It stays on well and has a really smooth and moisturising feeling. The wear time on this is about average for a lipstick, somewhere between three and four hours depending on whether I eat or drink. The f
ull-size liquid lipsticks are $6.99 and come in squeezy tubes. 

I also received a sample of Sparked colour-shifting lip gloss. Again, this one looks much darker in the tub than on the lips. 
Addictive Cosmetics Sparked lipstick taken with flash.
Addictive Cosmetics Sparked lipstick taken with flash.
Sparked is a mauve-y brown with a blue reflect and also has a bit of sparkle. I've worn this several times now and still have quite a bit left. The colour-shifting lipsticks are $8.99USD for a 1/3 tube with a wand applicator. 

Overall, I'm very happy with my Addictive Cosmetics order. I will definitely purchasing from them again. 

If you've bought something from AC, let me know what you think in the comments!

*Disclaimer: All items in this post were purchased by me with my own money. I am not affiliated with anyone mentioned in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)