Friday 11 December 2015

Swatch and Review: Notoriously Morbid Mystic Mattes and Changeling Topcoat

I don't think it's any secret that I'm a big fan of Notoriously Morbid. They do wonderful eye shadows, some of which I have previously reviewed here, and for about three years now their Coffin Kissers lip balm has been my absolute favourite lip treatment. So of course I had to test out their offerings in the liquid lipstick line.

I bought one of their Ancient Mystic Mattes, two of the Mystic Mattes, and one double-sided tube of Changeling Topcoats. I've had these for about two months now and have worn them several times a week so I can absolutely say I've tested these out properly. I bought these with my own money and I am not affiliated with Notoriously Morbid in any way.

Notoriously Morbid Mystic Matte in Rune, Sorceress, Thutmose III
w/ Changeling Topcoats in Siren and Kitsune


Left to Right: Thutmose III, Ritual, Sorceress, Siren, Kitsune

Left to Right: Thutmose III, Ritual, Sorceress, Siren, Kitsune


On to the review!



I'll start with Sorceress as it's currently my favourite.

Notoriously Morbid Mystic Matte in Sorceress

Sorceress is an amazing rusty red with a blue sheen/shift. The formula for all of these is fairly thin, but not runny. Using the doe foot applicator, it usually only takes me one coat for full opacity. I usually go back over the centre of the lips just a little because I find that makes the blue shift show up the best. In my experience, this doesn't set completely budge-proof, but it does dry down and lasts a very long time. I have regularly gotten six hours of wear without having to touch up. I can eat a meal and, as long as the food isn't really greasy, Sorceress will still be going strong. I really like the formula for these because it doesn't feel like I have a dried clay mask on my lips like some other brands (LA Splash, I'm looking at you) and I can move my mouth normally and the lipstick won't flake or crack.

Notoriously Morbid Mystic Matte in Sorceress

Next up Thutmose III, the only Ancient Mystic Matte I purchased.
Notoriously Morbid Thutmose III with Flash
Thutmose is a gun metal grey with a quick silver finish. This one goes on a little patchy at first, but two coats gets it completely opaque for me. Again, the formula is thin but not drippy and this doesn't set completely budge-proof. I got a bit less wear time with Thutmose, about 3-4 hours if I didn't eat. After eating, I found it necessary to reapply to the inner parts of my lips. However, this is really pretty and comfortable so it's worth it to reapply. I didn't find that it flaked and reapplying over it after I had eaten caused no problems.

Notoriously Morbid Thutmose III

On to my least favourite of the bunch, Ritual.

Notoriously Morbid Mystic Matte Ritual
This is the only absolutely true matte that I purchased. It is heather grey. The formula is great and it doesn't apply patchy. The only reason this is my least favourite is that I think it makes me look dead in a bad way. It's the colour of concrete or chalk dust, and leans blue-grey rather than brown-grey. I don't think it really works on my face by itself, but I don't think that's the fault of the lipstick. I may see if I can use this as an eyeliner, since I don't see anything in the ingredients list that makes me think I shouldn't. Actually, the more I look at the picture of this on my lips, the more it grows on me. This had the longest wear time for me and I didn't have any problems with it cracking or flaking.

Notoriously Morbid Mystic Matte Ritual

Finally, the Changeling Topcoats. I purchased mine in a double-ended lip tube with a colour on each side, but they discontinued that option. Now it's just one colour in a standard tube. I purchased Kitsune, which flashes pinky-red, and Siren, which flashes green.

Notoriously Morbid Changeling Topcoat Kitsune

Notoriously Morbid Changeling Topcoat Siren

These are sheer coats of colour-changing amazingness. I actually found that I really like them just by themselves, which I wasn't expecting. However, they look truly spectacular over darker colours.

Kitsune over Thutmose III
Kitsune over Thutmose III

Kitsune over Thutmose III
It's hard to see here, but Kitsune over Thutmose III turns into such a pretty pinky-grey. I like to dab this on the back of my hand and then put it in the centre of my lips with a lip brush. I can either just dab on a bit for a sheer, subtle look, or I can build it up and completely change the character of the whole shebang. I haven't tried the Changelings over any of my other lipsticks, but over the Mystic Mattes they are simply superb. They do dry down, but they are not budge-proof. I have worn them over all three of the mattes and I don't think they change the feel or the wear time in any noticeable way. 

Siren over Ritual

I am really glad I added these to my collection and I will most definitely be buying others. The price for the Mystic Mattes is $9 for a 4ml tube, which is really reasonable. The Ancient Mystic Mattes are also $9 and the Changeling Topcoats are $8 for for 3.5ml, but they no longer sell them in the duo 1.5 ml per-side packaging. 

Have you tried these out? Tell me what one is your favourite in the comments.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)