Tuesday 2 August 2016

My Pretty Zombie Swatchfest and Mini Review, Part 1

Hello, hello!

I know, I disappeared again. I do that sometimes. The truth is that it's so much easier to make a post on Instagram or on Tumblr, I tend to just do that. I post on Instagram almost every day, so you should definitely add me there if you're interested in watching my makeup evolution. I also post on Tumblr almost every day, mainly makeup related, but also a load of art stuff and pretty pictures.

Anyway, My Pretty Zombie had a flash sale last month and since I've been ogling their shadows for several years, I finally decided to go for it. Because I'm in the UK, I emailed the owner first to ask if it would be possible to get full-sized products in baggies instead of jars to make shipping cheaper. She emailed me back within the hour and said it was no problem and then sent me an invoice for the ones I wanted. She even added the flash sale discount (you had to use a code on the website) without me having to ask. Because of the baggies, my shipping was about $11 cheaper. The owner was very nice and I really appreciated that she didn't mind doing things that way for me.

My items shipped out about a week later, well within the TAT.


So what did I get?

On the MPZ site, you can order singles shades for $5USD each, themed sets of shadows or blusher (priced depending on the size), and bundles where you select the shades yourself. The sets and bundles are all set up so that they are cheaper than purchasing the shadows individually, so I ordered one of the bundles of nine self-select shades, which is priced at $36USD, but with the flash sale, I paid $18.09 for the product and $2.19 for the flat letter mail posting. Also, just looking at my invoice to give correct pricing, I noticed she also subtracted $9USD because she wasn't sending me jars, which was really sweet of her and I absolutely did not expect!

I heard from several people that MPZ do lovely duchromes, so that's mainly what I ordered. All these swatches are done over Urban Decay Primer Potion, because that's how I'm going to wear them on my eyes. I swatched each one twice; once with my finger (one dip in the product and then swiped) and once with a brush (one dip in the product and tapped off the excess). The swatch on the left is the finger, right is the brush.

My Pretty Zombie 42, Trepanation, Old Bruise, Quinsy, Scurvy, mNg No.2
Taken with Flash

My Pretty Zombie 42, Trepanation, Old Bruise, Quinsy, Scurvy, mNg No.2
No Flash, Daylight Bulbs

42

This is the only colour that I didn't pick as it was a freebie. It's a gold that leans greenish. Very sparkly, very smooth. It's hard to see because it's quite pale, but it's a really lovely colour in person. 

My Pretty Zombie 42, with flash

My Pretty Zombie 42, daylight bulb
This shadow is super sparkly, but it doesn't have chunks of glitter and is buttery smooth. It makes a lovely inner corner highlight. This does have a shift from gold to pale brownish green. I wouldn't have picked this out myself, but I'm really happy to have it because it's such a nice gold.

Trepanation

This is one of the colours I was most excited about, and I was not disappointed. 

My Pretty Zombie Trepanation under daylight bulbs

My Pretty Zombie Trepanation with Flash
Please forgive me for the fact that I clearly couldn't decide how to spell trepanation in all these swatches. I lose. This is a lovely tan/brown that has a golden/green shift. It has little flecks of sparkle, but no glitter chunks. It's buttery smooth and goes on very nicely. I've worn this several times since I received it, and I just love it. It's a nice transition colour if I use a light hand, but it's also a stunning all-over lid shade if I pack it on. The shift is really beautiful. 


Old Bruise

I've been trying to make myself purchase colours that I'm not really drawn to, because I don't need any more purples and reds. I am absolutely not drawn to mustard yellow, but I have a dirth of them in my collection. 
My Pretty Zombie Old Bruise, daylight bulbs

My Pretty Zombie Old Bruise, flash 
This is a matte shade (the tiny bit of sparkle in the photo was drift from one of the other colours). It's a really nice matte, not chalky at all. It's very bright and vivid. As yellows go, it's just about a shade darker than Sugarpill's Buttercupcake. 

Quinsy

Quinsy is a satin finish seafoam green. 

My Pretty Zombie Quinsy, daylight bulb

My Pretty Zombie Quinsy, flash
This one doesn't sparkle under normal lighting, but with the flash it has tiny silver sparks. I weirdly didn't have any colours in my collection like it. The formula is nice and smooth. It reminds me of snake skin.

Scurvy

Do you like rust reds? Then you will love this colour.

My Pretty Zombie Scurvy, daylight bulbs

My Pretty Zombie Scurvy, Flash
Scurvy is a deep rust red orange with a copper shift. It looks metallic when blended out a bit, but patted on it has a matte/satin finish. I really like this colour. The sparks only show up under the flash. Very smooth application. 


mNg No. 2

This is such an amazing colour, possibly my favourite out of this group of five. 

My Pretty Zombie mNg no. 2 , flash

My Pretty Zombie mNg no. 2,  daylight bulbs


My Pretty Zombie mNg no. 2 swatch, flash

My Pretty Zombie mNg no. 2 swatch, flash
It's also dead hard to photograph so the true beauty shows. The last two photos are the most true to colour. In the package this looks magenta pink. However, when swatched, this has an amazing greeny/silver shift. I tried very hard to get this to show in the photos and didn't quite succeed. It's like if the best magenta shadow and Sugarpill's Lumi had a little baby, but with less glitter. I love this shade so much. 

Sooo, that's pretty long so I think I'm going to turn this into a two-parter. Please come back to check that out!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

review (15) lipstick (12) look (11) mostly positive (10) pictures (10) sugarpill (10) swatch fest (9) eyes (8) swatchfest (8) eye shadow (7) eyeshadow (7) indie cosmetics (7) occ (7) purple (7) sleek (7) swatch (7) palette (6) green (5) swatches (5) cold chemistry (4) fotd (4) liquid lipstick (4) makeup (4) win (4) 30 days of (3) addictive cosmetics (3) blue (3) blush (3) colourpop (3) derelict (3) eotd (3) femme fatale (3) lip tar (3) meh (3) mineral makeup (3) neutrals (3) tutorial (3) youtube (3) 42 (2) Bourjois (2) Urban Decay (2) Vampire (2) ancient (2) beautybarbaby (2) bright pink (2) broccoli heaven (2) brow game strong (2) loose shadows (2) mNg No.2 (2) makeup gone wrong (2) matte (2) melt (2) milani (2) my beauty addiction (2) my pretty zombie (2) mystic matte (2) neon grape (2) notoriously morbid (2) nyx (2) obsessive compulsive cosmetics (2) old bruise (2) papaya milk (2) pink (2) purple blush (2) rime (2) scurvy (2) sorceress (2) trepanation (2) violet volt (2) yaby (2) 2016 (1) Dragon Scale (1) Edward Scissorhands (1) Face fail (1) Fairy Dust (1) Glam Shine (1) High Tea (1) Intoxicated (1) Love Like Air (1) RTW (1) Soap and Glory (1) acid palette (1) aubergine (1) baby duckie (1) balm (1) batty (1) beautyuk (1) berry (1) black (1) blood (1) blow (1) bossy (1) brills (1) caution (1) challenge (1) challenge pictures (1) character series (1) clinique (1) collection gothic glam (1) comparison (1) consumptive (1) contour (1) corset (1) cream (1) creme couture (1) dawn eyes (1) dita (1) dragon fruit (1) dragonfruit (1) dreamworld hermetica (1) drugstore vs highend (1) duochrome (1) dupe (1) emerald (1) eyebrows of fury (1) face of the day (1) feminist (1) fern (1) flamepoint (1) flawless (1) fortune teller (1) frankie stein (1) glamour doll eyes (1) glitter (1) good face day (1) grind (1) halloween (1) hellboy (1) highlighted (1) holiday (1) individual eyes (1) indrid (1) jaded (1) kat von d (1) kate by rimmel (1) killing joke (1) l'oreal (1) la splash (1) leather (1) limited edition (1) loose pigment (1) loreal (1) love (1) lovecraft (1) lumikki cosmetics (1) lunatick labs (1) mba cosmetics (1) mermaid (1) metallic (1) mineral matte mousse (1) miracles (1) moisturiser (1) moisturize (1) monster high (1) mua (1) nyc (1) ombre (1) orange (1) pagan (1) past (1) pleasure model (1) poison apple (1) portland black lipstick company (1) psychedelic caterpillar (1) pumpkin (1) pumpkin carving (1) purple iris (1) purpleness (1) red (1) redness (1) reliq minerals (1) revlon (1) rimmel (1) ritual (1) rose gold (1) rune (1) seaweed (1) sebastian (1) shameless (1) shiro (1) sickly (1) sigma (1) silver (1) skin care (1) sparkle (1) spring (1) spring garden (1) stain (1) sugar babies (1) sultry (1) taupe (1) teal (1) thutmose III (1) too faced (1) tootsi (1) tootsie (1) update (1) velocity (1) video (1) wasabi (1) wet (1) white (1) wifey (1) winged liner (1) wonderchilde (1)